The Pittville Pump Room

The Pittville Pump Room was the last and largest of the spa buildings to be built in Cheltenham.The well from which the Pump Room’s waters originate was first exploited by Henry Skillicorne around 1740, about 25 years after the waters were first discovered in 1716. . In the 1820s the local landowner Joseph Pitt determined to develop the northern part of the town as ‘Pittville’, of which the Pump Room and its spa were to form an important element as part of a pleasure garden.